Oilfield services companies operating in Syria
CGG Veritas in 2011 was the world’s largest seismic surveyor of oilfields.
In Syria CGG offered geophysical and geological datasets in support of the International Offshore Bid Round 2011 by the Syrian Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources and the General Petroleum Corporation.
Croatian Crosco Integrated Drilling & Well Services Company was founded in 1997 and operates as an onshore and offshore drilling and well services contractor.
Crosco commenced provision of services in Syria in 2000 and by 2004 was the largest drilling and oilfield services contractor in the country. They provide services for INA and Al Furat Petroleum Company (AFPC).
Official Website: www.crosco.com
Halliburton, founded in 1919 and based in Houston, Texas, serves the upstream oil and gas industries worldwide. In 1995 the company was taken over by Dick Cheney, having just left his previous job as US Secretary of Defence.
Press reports have accused Halliburton of operating in Syria despite US sanctions, avoiding the measures by operating through offshore subsidiaries.
Official Website: Halliburton
Petrofac, founded in 1981, is based in the Channel Islands and provides its services primarily in Algeria, the UAE, the UK, Kuwait, Syria, and Saudi Arabia.
The company floated shares on the London Stock Exchange in 2005 and as of October 2010 was the 57th-largest FTSE 100 company.
Petrofac's CEO as of 2012, Ayman Asfari, is Syrian by birth and the company were responsible for the development of the $350m Elba gas plant in the east of Syria.
Official Website: www.petrofac.com
Along with Halliburton, Schlumberger is one of the world's largest oilfields services companies. It is based in Houston, Texas.
In August 2010 Schlumberger acquired operations in Syria through its acquisition of Smith International.
Official Website: http://www.slb.com/r
Moscow-based Stroytransgaz was founded in 1990.
In December 2005 the company signed a contract with the Syrian Gas Company (SGC) to produce gas at the Abu Rabah field as part of the government's South Middle Area Gas Project (SMAGP). Gas production began in 2008. Stroytransgaz also built the Arab Gas Pipeline (AGP).
Official Website: www.stroytransgaz.com
- "CGG Veritas Says Demand Will Improve After Posting 2011 Loss" Bloomberg, 1 March 2012.
- "CGGVeritas supports Syrian bid round with seismic datasets" Offshore, 4 April 2011.
- "CROSCO" Bloomberg, retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Largest Drilling & Oil Field Services Contractor in Syria" CROSCO, 30 November 2004.
- "Halliburton" Bloomberg, retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Dick Cheney's Halliburton: a corporate case study" Guardian, retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Halliburton Secretly Doing Business with Key Member of Iran's Nuclear Team" Common Dreams, retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Petrofac Ltd." Bloomberg, retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Petrofac Ltd." Telegraph, 30 October 2010.
- "Schlumberger Limited Company Profile" Yahoo Finance, retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Geopolitical Risk in Syria" IW Financial, May 2011.
- "Stroytransgaz" Bloomberg, retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Russia's Stroytransgaz Starts Gas Output at Syrian Field" Stroytransgaz, 22 December 2008.