Principal Mines in Ghana

From Oil4All
Jump to: navigation, search

Ahafo

Ahafo mine produced 531,470 ounces of gold in 2009, and is operated by Newmont Mining Corporation.[1] The mine is located approximately 300 kilometres (km) northwest of Accra, it currently consists of 3 open pits and has expansion potential with reserves contained across 17 pits.[2]

Bibiani

Bibiani gold mine has been newly developed in 2011 by Noble Mineral Resources Ltd, and is located in western Ghana, 250km north-west of Accra.[1] The open-pit mine contains more than 17 million ounces of gold and is part of the Sefwei-Bibiani gold belt.[1] Noble Mineral Resources Ltd reported in February 2012 that processing of ore had commenced at the Bibiani Gold Project.[3] They hoped to increase to a stable production rate of over 50,000 ounces per annum by the end of 2012.[4]

Bogoso/Prestea

The Bogoso/Prestea Mine, 90% owned by Golden Star Resources and 10% by the Ghanaian state, is located in the southwestern region of Ghana.[1] As of December 2011 the Bogoso/Prestea Mine had 1.14 million ounces of proven gold reserves.[5]

Chirano

The Chirano Mine located within the Sefwei-Bibiani gold belt in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometres southwest of Kumasi, Ghana's second largest city.[6] The mine is owned 90% by Kinross Gold Corporation since they acquired Red Back Mining in 2010, with the remaining 10% owned by the Government of Ghana. [6] The Chirano mine consists of several open pits and one underground operation. In 2010 it reported gold production of 47,689 ounces with proven and probable reserves standing at 2.4 million ounces. [6]

Damang

Damang mine is operated by Gold Fields Ltd, and produced 207,000 ounces of gold in 2010.[1] Production focus at Damang is on a higher-grade, harder ore mix. Gold Fields Ltd report that drilling has increased the estimated life of the mine from 2014 to 2020.[7]

Iduapriem

Iduapriem mine is operated by AngloGold Ashanti. It is situated in the western region of Ghana, 70km north of the coastal city of Takoradi and 10km south-west of Tarkwa.[1] In 2011 it produced 185,000 ounces of gold.[8]

Obuasi

Obuasi mine is operated by AngloGold Ashanti, it has both surface and underground operations and is located in the Ashanti region of southern Ghana, around 80km south of Kumasi.[1] In 2011 it produced 317,000 ounces of gold.[8] AngloGold Ashanti expects its Obuasi mine to produce around 400,000 ounces of gold per year by 2012.

Tarkwa

Tarkwa is Ghana's largest gold mine and is located in the south-west of the country. It is operated by Gold Fields Ltd and lies approximately 300km west of Accra.[1] The project produced 721,000 ounces of gold in 2011.[9] Tarkwa's mineral resources are estimated to be 15.3 million gold ounces and its mineral reserves are estimated to be 9.9 million ounces.[1]

Wassa

Wassa Mine is owned 90% by Golden Star Resources and 10% by the Ghanaian State.[1] The site has several open-pit mines, as well as processing facilities that are also served by the Hwini-Butre and Benso mines (the HBB properties) located 80 and 50 kilometers, respectively, south of Wassa.[10]

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 "Gold Mining in Ghana" Gold Investing News retrieved 12 February 2012.
  2. "Ahafo Mine" Info Mine, retrieved 12 February 2012.
  3. "Wet Commissioning Commences" Noble Mineral Resources, 10 February 2012.
  4. "Welcome to Noble Mineral Resources Ltd." Noble Mining Resources, retrieved 12 February 2012.
  5. "Bogosa/Prestea Gold Mine" Golden Star Resources Ltd., retrieved 12 February 2012.
  6. 6.0 6.1 6.2 "Chirano Mine" Kinross Gold Corportation, retrieved 15 February 2012.
  7. "Review of International Operartions: Damang Gold Mine" Gold Fields Ltd., retrieved 12 February 2012.
  8. 8.0 8.1 "Mineral Reserve and Ore Resource Report 2010" AngloGold Ashanti, retrieved 12 February 2012.
  9. "Review of International Operartions: Tarkwa Gold Mine" Gold Fields Ltd., retrieved 12 February 2012.
  10. "2011 Wassa Drill Results, Plans and Sections" Golden Star Resources, retrieved 12 February 2012.