Sudapet, the Sudanese Petroleum Company, was established in 1997 with the mandate of taking full charge of the national oil industry and to provide training to oil industry employees. It is headquartered in Khartoum and operates in partnership with many international oil and gas companies.
According to a 2011 report by Integrity Research and Consultancy, while the management of some consortia in South Sudan was at the time held by the Khartoum government through Sudapet, this anomaly would be addressed by ongoing Abyei talks, after which a handover from Sudapet to Nilepet would occur.
However following the secession of South Sudan from Sudan in 2011, the Sudanese government accused South Sudanese president Salva Kiir of confiscating shares in Sudapet by ordering the transfer of shares to Nilepet. Sudanese officials claim that Sudapet does not belong to South Sudan and argued that South Sudan should compensate Sudapet to the tune of $2 billion, which they considered the value of the shares.
Interaction with Foreign Operators
As of 2012 Sudapet held a stake in a series of joint ventures (JVs), including a 5 percent stake in the Greater Nile Petroleum Operating Company (GNPOC), an 8 percent stake in Petrodar and an 8% stake in the White Nile Petroleum Operating Company (WNPOC).
According to the Energy Information Administration (EIA), Sudapet remains a minority shareholder in joint ventures (JVs) with foreign companies due to its limited expertise and financial resources.
Under the umbrella Sudapet the following subsidiary companies were established:
- Blue Nile Processing Nile Processing company (BPC), for processing seismic data.
- Blue Nile Geophysical Company (BGC)
- The Khartoum Technology Center for Special studies and Reservoir Characterization Studies.
- The Division for Exploration and field Development Studies (EDSD)
- Financial and Administration Department.
- "About Us" Sudapet Company Limited, retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Sudapet Company Limited" InfoGrokEnergy, retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "IMPLEMENTING CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IN SOUTH SUDAN" Integrity Research, October 2011.
- "Sudan accuses south of seizing Sudapet’s shares" Sudan Tribune, 17 November 2011.
- "Sudan and South Sudan " EIA, 19 March 2012.